We are getting closer to Christmas and all those family meals. Are you in charge of organizing one this year? Don’t fret at the thought of last-minute struggles with the turkey. If you want to put on an impressive spread without the stress, here is the traditional Christmas recipe from our Nuclo restaurant, located in Gran Vía. This year propose Idiazábal, mushroom and chestnut risotto, with Parma crumble.
The recipe is a winner, so all the best!
- 1 ½ l chicken stock
- 125 g butter
- 1 large, finely chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 250 g of mushrooms (preferably ceps or porcini, but any others, wild or cultivated, will do)
- 30 g chopped chestnuts
- 1 sprig of thyme and marjoram
- 150 ml dry white vermouth
- 500 g round-grain rice
- 75 g Idiazábal cheese
- Salt and pepper
For the Crumble
- 50 g butter (beaten), 50 g flour and 50 g parmesan
- Mix all the ingredients together to make a smooth compact mass
- Freeze for 1/2 hour
- Grate with a large grained grater onto a sheet of baking paper (without making piles) and bake at 160ºC, for 6 to 8 min
- Take it out when it is turning brown, let it cool and break it up with your hands
- That’s it!
- Melt the butter in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Sautee the garlic and onion for 10 min on low heat until they soften and change colour.
- Add the chestnuts, chopped mushrooms and herbs. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until they warm up and release their aromas.
- Add the vermouth, raise the heat and allow to boil until the liquid has evaporated. Add the rice and stir until it becomes dry and opaque.
- Add the stock slowly, stirring all the time. Do not add any more liquid until the rice has absorbed nearly all the above, but do not allow it to dry out completely.
- After 15 – 20 minutes add the Idiazábal cheese cut into thin slices. The risotto will be soft and creamy, but the grains will still be firm.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and allow to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Decorate with the Parmesan Crumble and some beansprouts.